The modern business, no matter what size or in which industry, requires fast and reliable connectivity, for example with business fibre, for effective day-to-day operations. Everything from telecommunications and point-of-sale to the management of a company’s stock can be monitored through the internet, and a business can lose out severely from poor connectivity.
Fibre for Business
Fortunately, South African organisations are benefitting from the rollout of fibre optics, providing incredibly speedy, uninterrupted internet. The enhanced availability of fibre and increased number of service providers means there is a lot of choice with regards to the fibre packages for your business. Your business size and particular requirements will determine how much fibre your business actually needs.
Read more: Risks of not using fibre in your business
Fibre line speeds per user (for uncontended lines)
Broadband internet speeds are measured in ‘megabits per second’ or Mbps. Bits are tiny units of data with one megabit representing a million units of data. The higher the number of Mbps you have, the speedier your online activity should be.
- 5 to 10 Mbps: This is the same as current ADSL speeds, although much more reliable. Ideal for about 1 to 3 devices so probably a home office.
- 10 Mbps: If your business has anywhere between 1 and 10 people using the internet simultaneously, then this is sufficient.
- 20 to 50 Mbps: This is ideal for a business of 20 people maximum using up to 40 internet-connected devices at any time. This line can reliably support HD streaming for up to five devices at once.
- 30 to 100 Mbps: For a medium-to-large organisation using between 40 and 90 devices, this is a good option.
- 100 to 1 000 Mbps: Large corporations or companies that rely heavily on fast internet connection will require this speed.
Business fibre can be tailored to your specific company needs and a really worthwhile internet service provider will provide you with a specific business fibre package to meet company requirements. It’s also worth remembering that business fibre is scalable, so you’ll having the option of increasing or decreasing your fibre depending on the business trajectory.
Business fibre packages
- Fibre-to-the-building (FTTB): For smaller businesses or home offices, FTTB offers you high-speed internet at an affordable rate.
- Business fibre broadband uncapped: For small-to-medium enterprises that need faster internet without paying exorbitant prices, this is a great solution.
- Business fibre dedicated uncapped: For larger corporations you’ll need high speeds on uncontended lines which is ideal for transferring copious data amounts on a daily basis.
Internet connectivity is integral to the operations of modern business which means partnering with a superior internet provider is essential for enhanced productivity. Fibre optic is undoubtedly the best solution on the market, it’s just about determining which fibre package will suit your business needs.
ECN is a leading telecommunications partner in South Africa. ECN offers a broad set of cost effective voice, data and hosted services to meet our customers ever growing technological needs. Our market leading fibre solutions provide our customers with the option of replacing their existing voice service provider to substantially reduce their monthly telecommunications bill. Contact ECN today for leading telecommunications solutions.