Telecommunications and how digital, cloud and social-visual increase will influence your business
The world of telecommunications has evolved rapidly the last few years with phrases such as ‘digital’, ‘cloud’ and ‘social-visual’ becoming commonplace, however, it’s easy to get lost in all the jargon while using these tools without realising their full potential. Here is an overview of what these phrases mean, as well as what they mean for your business.
Originally, telecommunications relied on analog technology which conveyed data as electronic signals of varying frequency – typical of phone transmissions or broadcast. However, telecommunication is now embracing digital which is electronic technology that generates, stores and processes data.
Embracing digital for your business is not a choice anymore, it’s imperative for future survival. But this isn’t a bad thing, because getting involved in the digital revolution means a number of benefits for your business, including:
- Flexible working hours through increased connectivity of devices
- Enhanced mobility for your business
- Improved customer service by combatting communication delays
- Improved internal communications
- Overall increase in productivity
Essentially, cloud computing is the storing and accessing of data and programmes over the internet, rather than on a computer’s hard drive. Instead of purchasing physical storage infrastructure, companies are buying cloud storage which can be increased as and when needed. Here are some of the benefits of investing in cloud computing:
- Because of the lack of physical infrastructure needed for storage, cloud uses less energy so is effectively more sustainable.
- There is increased collaboration between employees which means an improved workflow because of file sharing.
- Businesses have become mobile and the cloud facilitates this growing trend, allowing employees to access files and data as and when needed.
- The integrity of data is maintained because all files are stored centrally with one true version, as opposed to amended copies, stored in the cloud.
- Security is enhanced with cloud providers using the latest security updates and techniques to keep data safe.
Budgeting for storage becomes more straightforward as costs are more predictable.
Read more: For the latest telecommunications trends
Online communication received a massive boost with the advent of social media but, with enhanced connectivity, the written word has been replaced. Starting with lengthy blogs and then onto Facebook posts which were then shortened even further to the 140-character Tweet. And now telling something just isn’t enough, it’s necessary to show the audience visually to get the message across. Sharing of images on sites such as Pinterest and Instagram is the new form of communication, accompanied by the rise of online videos shared on platforms such as YouTube.
Read more: Mobile telecommunications trends
Businesses that aren’t seeing the value in social-visual platforms are missing out in many ways. Here are some ways you can make social-visual work for you:
- Interaction with customers: Uploading photos and videos, particularly original content, will gain traction through shares allowing for direct interaction with customers.
- Attracting new customers: In gaining online traction, you are likely to interface with potentially new customers.
- Connectivity across platforms: By sharing an image or photo on social media, you can direct consumer traffic back to your website or to other online platforms, increasing likelihood of attracting new customers.
- Brand awareness: Social-visual is an invaluable marketing tool with unlimited reach. Dictate the brand message you want to disseminate and place it online.
- Product launch: If you’re looking to get a new product onto the market, social-visual media is the ideal platform, with free giveaways an added bonus. A sneak preview always builds up suspense.
- Company insights: Give your audience a ‘behind-the-scenes’ look at your business with images of employees and customers, day-to-day life or company events.
With a firmer grasp on the concepts of digital, cloud and social-visual as well as how they can benefit your organisation, it’s time to incorporate these tools effectively into your business for maximum advantage. The first step will be partnering with the right telecommunications organisation which can power your business effectively for these interactive consumer platforms.
These telecommunications influencers are brought to you by ECN. ECN is a leading telecommunications partner in South Africa. ECN offers a broad set of cost effective voice, data and hosted services to meet our customers ever growing technological needs. Our market leading voice solutions provide our customers with the option of replacing their existing voice service provider to substantially reduce their monthly telecommunications bill. Contact ECN today for leading telecommunications solutions.